Monday, August 25, 2008

Just a time to tear down old walls

I love/hate the fact that Matt told me to introduce myself to two people on Sunday.

I think a lot of the time, I come across as unapproachable or snooty, and I promise that that isn't the case at all.
Well, unapproachable maybe. But snooty, no.
I am not an outgoing, extroverted, social person. I am shy and introverted and I tend to keep to myself until forced to interact.
If you've heard the story of how David and I met, you'll know that that was my one moment of boldness. Quite an out-of-body experience, really.

Anyway, I am entirely okay with being shy or a loner or whatever you want to call it. Seriously. It's a hard concept to grasp, I know, but it's true.

Consequently, I become quite hostile when awkwardly forced into social situations. And, admittedly, I fumed silently the entire car ride home on Sunday.
To be quite honest, I think what made me upset was not the request itself, but the fact that it reminded me of the way David used to force me to talk to people I didn't know, sit me down with them and then just leave. And, I mean, every once in a while it's a good thing to step out of the ordinary. But when it's an everyday occurrence, the end result is usually just the cold shoulder towards a certain David Hutton.
The thing about it was that I always felt like he was trying to change me, to make me into something he thought I was supposed to be, when I thought I was fine the way I was. I guess those bitter feelings just resurfaced a little bit on Sunday.

But what I'm getting at is that I was pleasantly surprised to find someone who seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me.
You can always find someone, can't you?

No comments: