Friday, August 29, 2008

Hey, love

So, today was quite interesting.

If you've ever been to a Panera Bread on Friday, you'll know that it's insanely busy pretty much the entire day. It's our busiest day of the week, and yours truly has agreed to work every Friday for what feels like the rest of my life.
Can you say stupid?
But I couldn't help it. With school starting back up, I had to request to only be put on the schedule for two days a week, and Joyce practically begged for one of them to be Friday. And I have trouble saying no sometimes.
Like I said, Friday is our busiest day of the week.

So when I went in this morning (6:00am), there were already four other girls there, and another showed up at the same time as me. Now, our bakery isn't exactly what you would consider spacious, so fitting six people in there wasn't particularly pleasant.

Needless to say, lots of bumper butts ensued.

Anyway, because I was the third person in, my break was supposed to come at around 10-11.
Not the case.

At 10:00, one of the girls had a minor emergency and had to take her break early. So, a certain employee didn't get her break until 1:00.
During the lunch rush.
Ho hum.

And usually this wouldn't be a big deal, but today the aforementioned employee was extremely hungry, having decided for some reason that one piece of toast was a sufficient breakfast.
And also, said employee's mom decided it would be a good idea to call Panera and demand to know why her daughter wasn't getting a break.

I can understand where she was coming from, but honestly, calling my work would not have done a thing. Peter (our general manager) probably would have answered, and she would have gotten nothing but a, "Well, sorry." and I would have had to be the one to get sideways glares and eye rolls.
Luckily, Peter was not the one who answered the phone, and all was well. Mostly.

Eventually, they ended up pulling my drawer at 3:00, which was an hour later than I was supposed to leave. Bah.
But I got a free bagel and frozen lemonade, so I consider this a pretty productive day. Frozen lemonade kicks any other frozen drink's figurative butt. :]

Anyway, the day took a turn for the better when David and I decided to go bother our friend Jacob at work (aka the Way of the Sub.)
Actually, I decided. I wanted a Spicy Italian sub and Jacob is the only one who makes it with a sufficient amount of love.

Let me describe Jacob for you in as few word as possible:
'Fro.
Energy drinks.
Chris Farley.
Hugs.

I end with hugs because I find Jacob to be exceptionally huggable. And if you know anything at all about me, you know that I love hugs. From anyone. Anytime. Period. Hugs.

Basically what I'm getting at is that if you have had a bad day at work, go bother your friends at their job and distract them by playing Monopoly and totally, completely, undeniably kicking their butt. :D (I brag on this only because David and I were absolutely demolished by Jacob the last time we played the game.)

But while I was driving home, I kept thinking about a conversation that David and I had with Chris a few months ago.
Put simply, he told us that we need to have people outside of each other. It sounds like common sense (which it is), but it's a difficult thing to remember and put into action when you want to envelop yourself completely in the other person. There's a certain sense of completeness that comes with finding someone like that, and it's easy to fall into the mindset that they are all you need.
Truth is, we start to annoy each other after a while. We need relationships with other people in order to maintain balance and keep ourselves sane.

If you have ever spent any amount of time with Chris and Lindy Thompson, then you know that they are undeniably in love. It's good and honest and unable to be hidden and it just, like... I don't know. Radiates. It radiates.
Basically, Chris and Lindy have something real and it is amazing without a doubt. So if they give me some advice, I'm going to listen.

So in the event that this should ever been seen by a member of Team Thompson, they would probably like to know that:
  • We are spending time with other couples. And yes, some of them are even our age. We're thinking several movie dates are in order here soon. :D
  • We do have our own friends, who we can hang out with separately or together. They keep us sane.
  • We don't need to spend every minute with each other. We miss each other when we're apart, but we can function separately.
  • And most importantly, we miss you terribly.

1 comment:

Only Servants Ministries said...

I can't tell you how proud I am of you! I just found your blog and started reading it. You are both growing and it sounds like things are going well for you both. Please know that you have blessed us both incredibly through your words and CHOICES in life! There is nothing more rewarding than SEEING those who you invest in, LIVE the life you've wanted them to live for so long. We love you both and can't wait to see you when we return. See you in late October!